Sunday, January 13, 2013

Skinny Chicken Fajitas!

Did you know that just 1 flour tortilla is nearly 100 calories?! For basically zero nutritional gain. It's basically just 100 calories of gluten and carbs. And for what? Something to hold your yummy Mexican food? It's time to ditch the tortillas and eat a plate full of good-for-you Mexican. 
This is what I call my chicken fajita remix! It is soooo good. Tons of super fresh ingredients piled on top of marinated chicken- it is heavenly! I think we've had this for dinner at least 3 times in the past 2 weeks.. I'm kind of obsessed with it. Why has it taken me so long to blog? Well for one, the first time I made this I inhaled it so quickly that I didn't take any pictures, sorry. ALSO it's been about 80 degrees and gorgeous all week so we've been going to the beach everyday, sorry I'm not sorry about that one:). And probably the more important reason, we still don't have internet hooked up in the house. That happens sometime next week- so there's that. But we've been eating super good and I am so excited to share with y'all what's been going down in my kitchen. Make sure you stay tuned :-) OH and PS: the other brilliant thing about this meal? Save your leftover chicken & peppers mixture, dice it up and make a chicken fajita omelet the next morning. It is AMAZING! 2 meals for the price of 1 people, you can't beat that!
My chicken fajita omelet! Just the leftover chicken & pepper mixture, some shredded cheese & pico de gallo!
Okay now to the fajitas...
Ingredients:
For the Chicken Marinade:
1 Package chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Seasoned Salt
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
For the Fajitas:
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
About 1 Cup sweet peppers (or bell peppers) cut into strips
1/2 Cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
1/2 Cup prepared Pico De Gallo
 For the home-made Guacamole (you could buy store-bought, I prefer homemade)
1 Ripe Avocado, mashed
1 tsp. Lime Juice
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Prepared Pico De Gallo (diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice)
1 tsp. Diced Jalapeno (skip if you don't like spicy!)
1 tsp. Minced Garlic

Step 1: Place your cut chicken strips into a gallon sized ziploc bag. (or a container with a top)
 
Step 2: Add your spices to the ziploc with the chicken and shake to coat.
Step 3: Add the olive oil and shake again to make sure all of the chicken is coated evenly. Marinate for at least 2 hours, or as long as over-night.

Step 4: Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. 
Step 5: When your oil is good and hot add your chicken 
Step 6: While your chicken is cooking prepare your peppers for cooking. I used these sweet little peppers: 
How adorable are they? But any sweet bell pepper will do!
Step 7: When chicken is cooked through (about 5-7 minutes) Toss your pepper strips in and cook another 2-3 minutes.. I like my peppers a little crunchy still, if you prefer a softer pepper throw in the skillet when the chicken is about halfway cooked through.
Step 8: While the chicken and pepper mixture is cooking prepare your guacamole. Mash the avocado with the lime juice and salt.
Step 9: I use a prepared pico de gallo I get at the local supermarket, feel free to use your own homemade or sub salsa. This is the kind I use:
Step 10: Add pico de gallo, jalapeno, & garlic to your avocado and stir.
I seriously make this guacamole at least 2x a week, it is my FAVORITE thing ever.
Step 11: To prepare fajitas layer chicken and pepper mixture first:
Then top with shredded cheese:
Top with pico de gallo:
And finish with a big dollop of your guacamole:
You can serve your leftover guac with some chips and ENJOY! I will post a fab margarita recipe that goes GREAT with these sometime this week... :-)

And some gratuitous beach pix from this week: 
Okay I'm done now I swear. Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely recipe and lovely tutorial as well.Nice share.keep up share that we can get more like this one.
    Chicken fajita recipe

    ReplyDelete