Monday, June 25, 2012

Sweet & Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges :-)

One night last year my dear husband came home from work bursting with good news- Sweet potatoes are crazy good for you and he wanted me to make some for him- PRONTO! Now, I've know this good news about sweet potatoes for awhile, they are rich in complex carbohydrates, fiber, beta carotene, vitamin a, vitamin c, and vitamin b. Very good for you. However, the only way I'd ever eaten them was smothered in marshmallows during the holidays. Not very good for you. So here was my challenge, to come up with a way to serve my loving husband this super food in a super healthy manner. Challenge accepted. 

This resulted in a multitude of different trials and errors in the kitchen. My first was a very botched attempt at sweet potato fries that we both hated and ended up throwing away. From there it got better, we realized we really enjoyed the contrast of spicy & sweet, we liked the skin on, and we liked them in wedges. When I finally reached the final recipe conclusion- it was sweet sweet success (pun intended:)) These are a staple in my house. They're crispy, sweet, a little spicy, healthy, pretty to look at it, they're just kindof everything. :-) You can make them spicier if you like spicy food- If I'm making this for Nick & I, I generally use about a 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper- but I used less because my fam isn't so fond of the spicy! Enjoy:-)

Ingredients:
2 similar sized sweet potatoes, washed and cut into wedges skin on (You can remove skin if you must... but it's full of nutrients!)
A couple of Tablespoons of Olive Oil (Enough to coat the wedges Completely)
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar (or 1 1/2 Tbsp. honey)
1 tsp. Paprika 
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper 

Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray. 
Step 2: In a medium size bowl toss sweet potatoes with enough olive oil to coat completely (I used about 3 Tbsp.)
Look at all that delicious Beta Carotene!

Step 3: Add brown sugar, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper to sweet potatoes- stir until fully coated.

Step 4: Put the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet in an even layer. 

Bake about an hour or until golden around the edges and crispy. (I like to flip them about 30 minutes in to get them all over crispity!)
MMM!


Remember if you are enjoying this recipe or any of the others- hit the subscribe button to your right so you can get my recipes straight to your inbox! It will make your tummy growl and your kitchen happy! :-)

4 comments:

  1. NOM NOM NOM! Sweet potatoe fries are a serious addiction of mine Cant wait to try yours :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I LOVE sweet potatoes :-) Let me know how you like these they're my faveeee!

      Delete
  2. YAYYY!!! i've been waiting for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep :-) You and a couple others, I finally got it up here!

      Delete