Thursday, August 9, 2012

{Thirsty Thursday}: Play-de-doh!

Today I'm sharing a drink I discovered while living in Little Rock, the "play-de-doh". It's a southern rum punch drink traditionally served in a mason jar. Who doesn't love a drink in a mason jar? So adorbs. The first time I had this concoction was on our Air Force base at the club, there was a group of ladies drinking a pretty fruity drink in mason jars. Of course I had to ask what they were drinking- they said "play-de-doh!" Uh what? Never heard of it. So I asked the bartender if I could have the mason jar drink, and it was so tasty! I later found out that play-de-doh's are found at a few different restaurants in the Little Rock area, one in particular serves it with gummy bears in the bottom! This is the perfect summer time drink, fruity, refreshing, and most importantly- pretty! The traditional version I had in LR was made with white rum {Ala Bacardi Superior} I however used a coconut rum in this version and it was amaaaaaazing! You could use a white rum though or a dark rum if that's what you have on hand!

I used 16 oz. pint-sized mason jars because that's what I have, you can of course use whatever style jar or cup that you'd like this size jar is just what the my measurements are based on!

Ingredients: (makes 1 drink)

1.5 oz. rum {1 shot}
1/2 c. orange juice
3/4 c. pineapple juice
1/2 Tbsp. grenadine
2 maraschino cherries to garnish (optional)

Step 1: Pour rum, OJ, & pineapple juice in the jar. Stir to combine.

Step 2: Add grenadine- do not stir just let it float to the bottom! Garnish with cherries (or gummy bears!) if desired. 
ENJOY! :-D

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always made alot of those drinks when I worked at the Airmans Club+NCO Club+Officer's Club at LRAFB.
    But, we used 3 different kinds of rum in each drink, along with the juices+grenadine +fruit.
    Drank quite a few myself I must confess.

    ReplyDelete