Sunday, August 19, 2012

Parmesan Zucchini Crisps!

Unless you are completely unaware of your produce department, you probably know that zucchini is in season and you can get it for WAY cheap right now. I love zucchini. I love zucchini grilled (esp. when I marinate it in the very best EVERYTHING marinade), sauteed (esp. in fried rice!), I mean pretty much any way you serve me zucchini I'm going to love it. Topping it with cheese and baking it has to be my favorite so far though. The cheese forms a crispy crust and they become little cheesy chips. Veggie chips. HEALTHY chips! I could eat an entire plate of these (In fact I just removed the plate from my reach so I could attempt to save some for later). This would be the perfect way to introduce a non-veggie eater to zucchini, it's like a sneaky veggie costume. 

The recipe is written using just 1 zucchini for 2 servings, however like I previously stated I could eat this entire batch by myself. I suggest doubling it if you are making it for more than one person!

Ingredients:
1 zucchini
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 C. shredded cheese (I used an Italian mix of mozzarella, Parmesan, & Provolone)
1/4 C. breadcrumbs
pinch salt
pinch black pepper

Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Cut the zucchini into 1/2 in. rounds.
Step 2: Toss zucchini rounds with olive oil until fully coated.
Step 3: In a separate bowl combine the cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, & pepper. 
Step 4: Cover each zucchini piece in the cheese mixture. I did this by pressing the zucchini into the cheese mix, turning it over and pressing down again, and then I topped it with a little extra mixture on top.
Step 5: Place coated zucchini on the baking sheet, bake 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and crispy.
Unbaked chips...
Golden, crispy finished chips!
Enjoy with a side of marinara sauce for dipping if you'd like! The marinara pairs well, but I found myself just eating these by themselves. They're that good. :-D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment