Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Very Best EVERYTHING Marinade!

One of the coolest compliments I've ever received in reference to my cooking is that I cook the best steak. Why is this the coolest compliment you ask? Because I have never tasted my steak. I don't eat steak. HOWEVER, my husband is a carnivore. He loves steak. LOVES. So like anything in my life I took this as a personal challenge and started doing all sorts of steak cooking research. I watched youtube videos, Food Network segments, read recipes, etc... and what I learned was that there are really 2 schools of thinking when it comes to steak. One school says "don't marinate, season well, cook appropriately". Other school says "marinate in something fantastic, cook appropriately". I tried school A- I bought a great cut of meat, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and cooked to my boo's preference of doneness. Results? Eh, good- not great. On to school B- I combined several different marinade recipes I found with my ideas on what sounded good & what I had on hand, marinated the steak for a couple hours, and cooked to desired doneness. Results? Gushing, over-the-moon, freaking out husband. He was IMPRESSED. And I was incredibly pleased with myself. From there I cooked the same steak recipe for a bunch of our friends, all to similar reviews-they were all may-jor fans. This steak was a hit, and the marinade smelled so good I had to get some for myself. I marinated some chicken breasts in the same mixture and grilled them up for me- BANANAS good. Next stop? Veggies. Same result. Fantastical. 
The recipe made me enough to marinate 3 t-bones, 3 chicken breasts, and 1 zucchini & 2 bell peppers. If you are just cooking 1 meat you can cut the recipe in half, however I recommend making the entire batch and keeping the leftovers in an airtight container for your next grilling effort. You won't be disappointed. The zucchini was my favorite, it was off the charts. I love grilled zucchini already, but this was the ultimate for me. YUM! 

Ingredients:
1 cup olive oil (you can use canola or vegetable oil, but olive oil is really the best!)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary (for me this is the ingredient that MAKES the recipe)
3 Tbsp. steak seasoning (I use Montreal Steak)
3 Tbsp. steak sauce (like A-1)

Step 1: Whisk together all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
Step 2: Marinate your veggies, chicken, steak, etc. for a couple of hours (or overnight).
From left to right- t-bones, veggies, chicken
Step 3: Grill your marinated beauties to desired done-ness. You could skillet fry or bake.
Grilled Steaks
Grilled Chicken & Veggies. OMG THE ZUCCHINI! So good. Still can't get over it...
Do you have a no-fail grilling recipe? I am always looking for new marinades, especially ones great on chicken (I'm a chickenaholic)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment