Saturday, August 11, 2012

"Fat Witch" Brownies!

Confession, I, like most human beings, love brownies. Specifically I have always had a penchant for brownies from a box. It's embarrassing. I tell everybody, everywhere they need to be cooking more homemade goodies and here I am making brownies from a boxed mix. There's just something I could never attain from homemade brownies. They weren't moist enough, or chocolatey enough, or I don't know something enough. Well, ladies and gentlemen, esteemed readers of the blogosphere- I have discovered homemade brownies I LOVE. I found this recipe from Plain Chicken here: http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/07/cocoa-brownies-fat-witch.html. {I LOVE her blog, I subscribe- you should too she's terrific} She got the recipe from the "Fat Witch Bakery" cookbook. The Fat Witch Bakery is a legendary bakery in New York City renowned for their brownies, are you in? You should be... they're sooooo good!

Immediately after devouring a brownie, I boxed these up to give away. Pure security measure- had I left them in the kitchen I'm quite sure I would have annihilated them. The ONLY thing I would change next time would be to add walnuts. That's just me- I'm a walnut-brownie girl and I think that would take it over the top for me. You could also add chocolate chips, white choc. chips, butterscotch, fudge, etc. It's just the perfect base recipe. ENJOY!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks butter 
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt butter in a saucepan. 

Step 2: Remove melted butter from heat, pour into a heat-proof bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. While butter is cooling gather remainder of ingredients.

Step 3: Whisk cocoa powder and sugar into melted butter.

Step 4: One at a time whisk eggs into butter mixture until combined.

Step 5: Whisk vanilla into batter.

Step 6: In a separate bowl stir together flour and salt.

Step 7: Add flour mixture to batter and stir until combined. Pour into greased pan {I used a 9x13 baking dish}. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
mmm!

Add a glass of almond milk {or you choice of milk, but you should definitely have milk!} And ENJOY :-)

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious!! So glad you liked them too.

    I've wondered how the brownies would turn out if they were baked in a 9x13 pan - know I know.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came out SO good! So glad you shared the recipe :-D The 9x13 pan worked great, just cut the baking time to about 20 minutes! Thanks again Steph!

      Delete