Monday, August 20, 2012

Caprese Skewers!

Since last week I posted a bunch of football friendly not-quite-so-healthy recipes, this week I will be posting some lighter fare. Today's recipe came out so, so, so (I could go on for about a billion so's here) GOOD. I love caprese, there's just something about the tomato + mozzarella + basil combo that just pairs together so well. Traditionally I would slice a tomato, top with a slice of mozzarella and a few pieces of torn basil, and then probably eat it with a fork. A couple of weeks ago while mindlessly browsing Pinterest I saw a version with a grape tomato, piece of mozzarella, and basil skewered up on a toothpick. It was so adorable! I immediately knew these mini caprese skewers would be in my future.

These would be the perfect appetizer for a party, they're very elegant looking! Plus they're already skewered up in a little handheld treat. So easy and delicious!

Ingredients:
Grape tomatoes (I used about half a carton, around 20 little tomaters)
Fresh basil
Mozzarella (I used about half a block, cubed)
Toothpicks
Pinch kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil

Step 1: Take your block of mozzarella, cut it in half and cut that half into little bite sized cubes (or any shape your heart desires!)
Step 2: To build the skewer: string the basil leaf through one side of the toothpick
Yes, I have clue sparkly nail polish this week :-D
Push the grape tomato onto the toothpick under the basil leaf
Add a piece of mozzarella on the end, string the other half of the basil leaf behind the mozzarella (some of my leaves were too small for this and were just strung through the top of the toothpick, not the bottom- no big deal still look gorg!)
Continue with desired amount of skewers and place on a plate.
On this blue plate they looked very patriotic! Didn't even mean to do that...!
Step 3: Sprinkle skewers with a pinch of salt (about 1/2 tsp.) and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil evenly on top of skewers. Serve & Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment