Friday, September 21, 2012

Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes!

'Tis the season for pumpkin flavored EVERYTHING, my friends. I love pumpkin. I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spice lattes, etc. etc. If it's pumpkin, I'm going to eat it. Here's the may-jor issue I've been having with pumpkin recipes lately: they're all LOADED with sugar. Like, a ton of freaking sugar. Pumpkin is actually super healthy for you- it's really high in vitamins A & C, potassium, manganese, copper, riboflavin, and it's low in salt, cholesterol, & saturated fat. SUPER FOOD, PEOPLE! But when you cover it in sugar you're kind of making all those good things a moot point. So I've been on a mission to health-ify some pumpkin goodies. And make them paleo. And it's been a success so far!
These pancakes scream everything fall. Perfect Saturday morning breakfast (or like me, Thursday afternoon lunch ;)). Have your pumpkin and eat it too!

PS: When I hit 200 fans on the unBearablyGood Facebook page I am doing a really good giveaway (YOU REALLY WANT TO WIN, TRUST ME!) It will only be open to people who "like" the Facebook page, so make sure you see the Link on the right hand side of the page >>>>> that says "find us on Facebook" and hit the little "Like" button. :-D

Ingredients:
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup pumpkin puree (make sure it's 100% pumpkin, no sugar added!)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
3 Tablespoon coconut milk (from the carton, not the can)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon honey
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon coconut oil (can be firm, you're just gonna whisk it in)
pinch of kosher salt
(optional) hand-full of chopped walnuts

Step 1: Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Whisk together flour, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, milk, baking soda, honey, eggs, vanilla, oil, and salt.
Step 2: Pour batter onto skillet in about 1/4 cup sized pancakes. Flatten a lil bit with your spoon.
Step 3: Cook about 2 minutes, or until bottom is cooked through and flip. Cook an additional 2 minutes until they are cooked through. Serve & Enjoy!


Doesn't that one look like a jack-o-lantern face?!
Serve with some protein, just do it. I had mine with sausage! :-D

I hope everyone has a great weekend! My Seminoles have a big 'ol game vs. Clemson tomorrow night! GO NOLES! :) 

16 comments:

  1. Hey, I was searching for a paleo pumpkin recipe and found several. This one looked the best to me but I made one modification and thought the results really helped lighten up the batter (I.e. make it bubble and be more fluffy like a regular pancakes). Basically, I separated out the egg whites, putting the yolks in the batter, and then put a pinch of salt in the egg whites and use a whisk to whip them into a meringue. If you haven't whipped egg whites before, you need a really clean bowl (no oil residue) and you really whip it to death as fast as you can for several minutes until the foam forms peaks. En yo fold the meringue back into the pancake batter. It lightens the batter p a lot and you make a lot more pancakes for the same amount of food. Other keys for me were to cook on medium low heat so as to cook all the way through without burning one side. It took almost 5 min per side for me. Anyway, they were delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great tips Wendy! I will definitely try your meringue tip the next time I make these (which will be the DAY I get off my whole 30 challenge!). So glad you enjoyed the recipe :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I am doing these ASAP.. (I mean in 5 ;-| he he)
    Love the tip from @wendy too. Thanks pumpkin people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ash! Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm doing the lurong chalange so I can't have baking soda I was so wanting this for brekfast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you use arrowroot as a replacement maybe?! It's all natural and works pretty much in the same fashion...:-)

      Delete
  4. Making this for breakfast tomorrow~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I made these this morning and I'm not sure why but my batter was way thick. I used arrowroot powder instead of baking soda because of the lurong challenge and I omitted the honey all together. Everything else I used. I had to add a ton of water to the batter to make it even a pancake like consistency. I put coconut oil in my pan as a just in case and they were a little hard to flip. The middle of the pancake seemed heavier than the sides. Another thing I noticed is that I put in solid coconut oil. It's probably better to melt it before then measure it out. My batter had clumps that I couldn't get rid of :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Marcia! I am sorry to hear that you had issues :( It is a thicker batter, that's from the coconut flour being so dense. I just pour it onto the griddle and use my spoon to flatten it and make it thinner, that's what helped mine. I don't know if the arrowroot would change anything- it shouldn't.

      Delete
  6. How many pancakes does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry just saw this- usually makes me about 10, it will depend on how big you make them!

      Delete
  7. These were some of the better Paleo pancakes I have found. They turned out fine without the extra whipping of egg whites suggested in another comment. (I like recipes as simple as possible). Do watch the heat because I got mine too dark. Coconut oil doesn't do as well at high heat. Also used canned coconut milk since overseas and didn't have access to a carton. Did ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was delicious and my entire family loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made these for breakfast...they were yummy!! I followed the recipe as is and they were so good. A little dense, but I like dense pancakes. Thanks for the great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make my own milks, so I don't get unwanted chemicals, etc., in my food. So I will try these with homemade cashew milk! New to Paleo, so appreciating recipes!

    ReplyDelete