Sunday, May 27, 2012

Fresh Summer Pasta Salad!

A pasta salad is the perfect side for a summer BBQ. But what do you think of when you think of a traditional pasta salad? Pasta weighed down with heavy mayo or sour cream? Not this salad. This is the recipe my mother has been making for years, it's delicious, fresh, easy, and it doesn't weigh you down like a traditional creamy pasta salad! 




We use tomatoes, cucumber, and olives in ours but you could really use whatever vegetables you like or have on hand. I think it would be great with peppers, spinach, zucchini, etc. I like to use the rotini pasta because the shape holds the dressing and seasonings well but you could really use any short pasta you like, I've used penne pasta in a pinch and it worked fine.

Ingredients:
8 oz. cooked rotini pasta
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil (or enough to coat the pasta)
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tomato, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/4 c. olives
1 3.5 oz container of feta cheese
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
salt & pepper to taste

Step 1: Toss cooked pasta with the olive oil and vinegar. Make sure the pasta is coated completely, if need be add more olive oil.
Step 2: Add tomato, cucumber, olives, and feta cheese. Stir to combine. 
Step 3: Add italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours before serving (Although I usually eat a bowl right there while it's still warm, I can't help it!).




And there you have it, quick and easy pasta salad goodness that you don't have to feel guilty about! Enjoy! What are some of your favorite BBQ sides? 


ALSO- I've added a button on the bottom of each recipe where you can "pin" it to your pinterest board, or share it on facebook if you'd like! There's also a section on the right side of the blog where you can subscribe to my blog, I will send recipes right to your inbox! Convenient! Thanks for stopping by, I hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend and remembering those who make these holidays possible for us. Thinking of my deployed hubby all day today and tomorrow! So proud of him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment