Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Easy Mashed Cauliflower!

I am super excited to share this recipe with you today, mainly because it is pretty much the easiest recipe of all time. I used frozen cauliflower so there isn't even any veggie chopping involved. Just boil the veggies, drain, mash, add butter/garlic/cheese/etc, EAT. The whole process took me maybe 10 minutes. That's it. I knew I wanted to have mashed cauliflower in the place of mashed potatoes for our "Fakesgiving" feast but I knew that would be a hard sell to my mashed potato loving friends. So I did what any good friend would do- I lied. I told them that the mashed cauliflower was in fact mashed potatoes. I didn't tell them the truth until the bowl was scraped clean. Is it so wrong that I wanted my friends to get all the benefits of healthy cauliflower? Nope, and when I told them they were a little shocked. I say a little, because they read my blog and they know I'm trying to keep everything healthy so they were expecting trickery, but they still enjoyed every bite. My friend Ashley told me that she suspected that cauliflower was added to the "mashed potatoes" but she never would have guessed that it was straight up cauliflower only, no potatoes at all. I definitely recommend you also try the little white mashed potato/ cauliflower lie on your family :) 
And you're going to have to forgive me for lack of pictures on this post, I did have 5 different recipes going on in the kitchen at the same time and it seems the photographing of the EASIEST one fell through the cracks. Of course. I'll do my best to give really good descriptions :)

Ingredients: (Served 6)
2 (16 oz.) bags frozen cauliflower florets
1/2 stick unsalted grassfed butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
(optional) 1/4 good quality shredded cheese

Step 1: Put your frozen cauliflower in a pot and add enough water to cover all the veggies completely.
Step 2: Put the pot on a burner on high heat and bring water to a boil, then decrease heat to medium high and let cook for about 5 minutes or until florets are fork tender.
Step 3: Drain cauliflower. Add the florets to a bowl for mashing, or a food processor, or like me a high quality blender!
Step 4: Process cauliflower until smooth (or mash until smooth). Add butter, garlic, seasonings, and cheese, process until all combined. SERVE! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment