Thursday, November 8, 2012

Meatzas!

Happy Friday-eve! :-) I hope everyone is having a really good week! It's a been a big week for our country, you know with elections and all. Don't worry, I'm not going to get all political on you here A) because I'm not a political person and B) this is a cooking blog, I'm quite sure you didn't come here for politics, nor do you care about my personal opinion on the subject. I will say this, because I think it's something everyone needs to think about every once in awhile, especially when everybody's all heated about this candidate or that guy: Voting is a super thing, it's so beautiful that we as people in this country have the opportunity to choose the people who represent us in the government. However, while they are representing us in grand- ole D.C. it doesn't mean that you're completely helpless! We can ALL do little things to help our country out every single day. Say wha? Little 'ol me can make a difference? Of course you can! Instead of hitting Panera for lunch (I know their broccoli cheddar soup is good, just skip it one day!) try a local diner- the food is likely cheaper and you can feel good knowing that the money you spent is being pumped back into your local economy! Hit a farmer's market Saturday morning with the fam, it's a super fun experience, you'll get WAY better deals than at your local grocery store, the food is quite literally "farm- FRESH!", and you're helping out your local farmers! Anytime you're at the grocery store and you have an option between Florida grown oranges or some grown in Mexico, always choose the home-grown guys! I will NEVER understand why we need to fly produce in from other countries when we grow so many goodies right here in the U S of A! And last, but certainly not least, anytime you see a service man or woman walk up to them and thank them for their service and their family's sacrifice. This costs nothing, and you have no idea how much it means hearing those very simple words! Everytime someone says this to my husband and I my heart grows 3x like the Grinch on Christmas Eve, it's just such a beautiful gesture. Does it boost the local economy? Maybe not, but boosting our military's morale is ALWAYS a good idea. :-) Okay kids, I'll step off my soapbox now. I said this was about the meatzas. What the heck is a meatza? Let's talk...
I saw a picture on Instagram the other day of someone who had used an eggplant slice for a pizza base, instead of using a flour-based crust. I thought it was so brilliant! Then I thought about it some more, and I decided that if I could use a piece of meat they'd be like little protein pizzas. I love sausage pizza, why not use sausage as the base? Wham bam thank you ma'am the Meatza idea was born. Basically it's just a sausage patty, topped with tomato sauce (I used Muir Glen- it's organic and honestly just the best tasting sauce you can buy), fresh mozzarella cheese (or skip if you don't do dairy), and your choice of pizza toppings. They were fun to make and fun to eat! I just set all the ingredients out so everyone could make their own little meatzas, then we baked them in the oven long enough to let the cheese melt and chowed down. THEY WERE SO GOOD. Who needs pizza crust when you have sausage? Not me. Although I will be in Chicago in about a week and half and you really can't fault me if I eat a traditional pizza there. Chicago pizza is ridiculously divine. But on a normal daily basis, I'll take a meatza ;) For toppings we had mini pepperonis, some diced green peppers, and some pico de gallo (onions, jalapenos, tomatoes). Other toppings that I think would be phenomenal: anchovies, bacon (pig on pig? why not.), mushrooms, olives, onions, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, pineapple, etc. etc. Really just whatever you & your family usually like on your pizza works great here. If you're not a sausage fan, why not use a ground beef patty, or ground chicken or ground turkey for that matter! 

Ingredients: (This fed 4 grown people!)
16 cooked sausage patties
Choice of tomato sauce
Fresh mozzarella, cut into small slices
Choice of pizza toppings (we used pico de gallo, peppers, & pepperoni!)
Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set out a little station for your meatza making. Top sausage patty with tomato sauce.
Step 2: Top with mozzarella and choice of pizza toppings.
Step 3: Line 'em up on a baking sheet and bake in pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes or until your cheese is good and melty.
ENJOY!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment