Thursday, February 21, 2013

Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef & Broccoli!

I've got a good one for y'all today! This is probably my hubby's FAVORITE dinner. Which makes me super happy, because it is sooo easy! The crockpot does all the work for you, you just chop the steak & veggies. It's like takeout Chinese that's waiting for you when you get home. Minus the MSG. And way cheaper. Skirt steak/flank steak is SO CHEAP! I bought the particular one in this post at the commissary for $3.50. The ENTIRE meal ran me less than $5. 2 servings. <$2.50 a piece. Can you beat that at the local Chinese food joint? I DON'T THINK SO. 
Pretty right?! Okay I'm done talking- you need this recipe. Now.

Ingredients:
1 lb. Skirt steak or Flank steak
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
1/2 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce (find in the Asian food aisle, next to Soy Sauce)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Chopped Fresh or Frozen Broccoli

Step 1: Cut your steak into strips.
Step 2: Place your steak strips into a gallon sized ziploc bag. Pour corn starch over the steak and toss to coat. Let rest, & make the sauce while the steak is resting.
Not the clearest picture, but that's the steak in the bag coated in corn starch. Promise.
Step 3: In a medium sized bowl whisk together garlic, soy sauce, water, hoisin sauce, & brown sugar.
Step 4: Place your steak strips in the crock of your slow cooker, pour sauce over top.
Place top on slow cooker & cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. When you're about 20 minutes away from eating toss in some broccoli. Stir to combine everything, replace top and let cook an additional 20-30 minutes on low. EAT.
Enjoy :-)

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a slow cooker :( - Could i make this stove-top instead? I wonder how long it would take, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not just get a slow cooker? You can get a really good one for less than $25 and you will not be sorry.

      Delete
  2. Could not live without my slow cooker. Saves me a lot of time, as a grandma , who does a lot of childcare.

    ReplyDelete