Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Paleo Banana Bread!

Good Afternoon everyone! I have a special little recipe today! Before my little paleo adventure began I was somewhat known for my banana bread. I loved to make it as gifts for people, home-made treats always make others feel so special! So, this morning when I walked into the kitchen and saw 2 extra-ripe bananas sitting on the counter I knew what it was time for- paleo-ifying banana bread! It was an experiment that turned out terrific. I am in love with this loaf! Didn't miss traditional flour at all. Plus it's super- low sugar and even packs a little protein! Winning!

On a side note (if you don't care about my personal life and just want the recipe, I don't blame you- just scroll down!) I haven't been posting much lately because my life is extremely hectic right now! After a 6 month deployment my husband is coming home in the next couple of weeks or so! It is very exciting, but also stressful as I have been staying with my mom in Florida for the duration of his deployment and I will have to return to Arkansas this weekend to meet him. We will be there for a period of time and then we will be moving to the Florida pan-handle where we got PCS orders to! It's a very exciting time, but also very busy so I don't know how much blogging time I'll have. I will try my hardest to always post at least 1 new recipe per week though :-) I hope y'all stick with me! Now back to the bread...

Ingredients:
3 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
3 Tablespoons Honey
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Cups Almond Flour
(Optional) 1/2 Cup chopped nuts (I used almonds!)

Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a loaf pan. Separate the eggs, yolks in one medium-sized bowl and whites in another.
The egg whites are in the green bowl to the left, kinda hard to see them! Yolks in the bowl on the right.

Step 2: Add honey to the bowl with the egg yolks and cream with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. You could also use a whisk by hand- but you'll have to work! Mine took about 5 minutes to look like this:

Step 3: Add olive oil, bananas, and vanilla to the yolk mixture. Stir in gently, until just combined.

Step 4: Add baking powder, cinnamon, and almond flour to banana mixture. Stir in gently, until just combined. Do not over-mix.

Step 5: Using the hand mixer again (or a stand mixer, or a whisk by hand) beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. This is important. Mine took about 3-4 minutes.

Step 6: Fold egg whites gently into banana batter mixture. Do not over-mix. Gently fold in nuts if desired. 

Step 7: Pour batter into loaf pan and bake about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan and then remove and serve!

ENJOY :)

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried coconut oil instead if olive?
    Sounds yummy!
    I'm a marine mom & my Cpl is home finishing up his business degree @ university. My heart goes out to all you military families. Wives especially. I enjoy your blog very much. Found you on Pinterest.
    Keep up the good work-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Amanda! I have not tried coconut oil, mainly because I just ran out right before I made this! Or else I definitely would have used coconut oil. I love coconut oil and I think it would be fantastic in this. I will update when I try it ;) If you try before me let me know how it goes! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm new to baking/cooking and Paleo in general so I'm trying the recipe as is and next time I want to add chocolate chips! I'm a chocolate fiend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm Chocolate Chips in banana bread rule. Have you tried the Enjoy Life mini chips? I love the Enjoy Life brand because they're gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and they are sooo yummy. Melt awesome too. Fave Paleo recipe ever (and it includes CHOCOLATE!): http://unbearablygood.blogspot.com/2012/09/paleo-chocolate-chip-pumpkin-muffins.html you must try those if you love chocolate, they are my absolute favorite ever! Good luck :):)

      Delete