Friday, October 5, 2012

Clean Eating Tacos!

Happy Friday y'all! It's officially day 5 of my Whole:30 Challenge and I'm feeling great. I've also nicknamed it OctSoberfest, and that makes me laugh. :-) I read a great quote today and I wanted to share it with you:
"This whole idea of 'everything in moderation' helps people rationalize what they do to themselves. Is health your #1 priority or not?" -Nora Gedgaudas
A.K.A. a moderate amount of crap, is still crap. Needed to hear that today, I woke up thinking of hot wings and a submarine sandwich, haha. Instead, I got my butt up and made some scrambled eggs, a fruit smoothie, and ate some carrots. Go meee! Now about those tacos I promised you...
These tacos were uhh-mazing. In fact, I've eaten them for 3 meals in 2 days already. Seriously. I made them for dinner Wednesday night, ate the left-overs for lunch Thursday, and then made them AGAIN Thursday night when I got home from the gym. I still have left-overs in the fridge and they'll be my lunch today. I like them that much. :-) Making your own taco seasoning is a must, even if the fillers & salt that come in the pre-packaged kinds don't disturb you-- it's much CHEAPER to make your own. It's a win-win. Healthier & Cheaper. I topped my tacos with some quick guacamole I threw together, I just mashed an avocado with lime juice, garlic, & some salt & stirred in some diced tomatoes. Guacamole is a must for me, but some other great toppings would be: diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, sauteed onions & peppers, or avocado slices. Choose your own adventure style, isn't that what taco night is really about? 

Ingredients: 
Taco Seasoning-
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons Cumin
1 1/2 Tablespoons Paprika
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
2 teaspoons Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes 
Tacos-
1 lb. Ground Meat of Choice (I used ground beef)
1 Head of Lettuce
Toppings of Choice (I used some home-made guac)

To make the Taco Seasoning:
Whisk together the chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, & red pepper flakes. 
Keep in an air-tight container. To use: use 3 Tablespoons per pound of ground meat. Season meat, brown, drain, add 1/4 cup water to browned meat in the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve!
For my guacamole I just mashed an avocado in a bowl with half a lime's worth of lime juice, 1 clove minced garlic, pinch of salt, and 1 diced tomato.
This was my set-up for my taco making bonanza:
To make a taco, take a lettuce leaf, top with meat & toppings. Eat!
Nom nom nom nom... Everyone have a great weekend! :-)

2 comments:

  1. These look really good. I'm going to make them this weekend. Thanks for posting! I'm on Day4 of Whole30 and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go girl! Hope you're doing well, and you loved the tacos :-) They are my fave!

      Delete